United States citizens wishing to travel internationally will need the following in order to obtain a U.S. Passport Book or U.S. Passport Card.
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
You must present one of the following citizenship documents:
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate(Must be a certified copy that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
You must present one of the following identification documents:
- Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
- In-state, fully valid driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license with photo
- Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
- U.S. military or military dependent ID
- Current (valid) foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
- Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
- Other documents: In-state, fully valid learner’s permit with photo, In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo, and temporary driver’s license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these 3 documents.
U.S. Passport applicants under 16 must apply in person using Form DS-11. Applicants under 16 cannot use the passport renewal application to renew a passport. Children under 16 passports are valid for 5 years.
You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.
Show parental relationship:
Parents/guardians must present one of the following documents:
- U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
- Foreign birth certificate
- Adoption decree
- Divorce/Custody decree
Parents/guardians must present one of the following identification documents:
- In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
- Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
Both parents/guardians must be present when applying for a passport for minors under 16. If both parents/ guardians are unable to be present, you have sole legal custody of the minor under 16, or are unable to locate the other parent please read Show Parental Consent.
You may renew your U.S. Passport at Georgia State University Passport Services if you answer yes to one of the below:
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
Georgia State University Passport Services does not process form DS-82 passport applications. We can provide you with your new passport photo that must be submitted alone with your form DS-82 passport renewal application for a nominal fee. The U.S. Department of State requires DS-82 applications to be mailed in by the applicant. Applicants must mail their application to one of the processing center addresses listed on the DS-82 form. Applicants are welcome to pick up form DS-82 from the facility.
Requirements for mailing your DS-82 Renewal Application:
- An envelope large enough to fit the application without folding or a USPS Priority Envelope (which can be picked up at a Georgia State Passport Facility).
- A trackable delivery method. The method used must be able to deliver to a P.O. Box address.
Georgia State Passport Services will provide customers with the above mailing requirements when taking a photo for a renewal application.
For information on renewing your passport please visit travel.state.gov, Renew my Passport by Mail.
Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. The U.S. Department of State recommends renewing your passport well ahead of your international travel plans, even if it still has a few months of validity remaining. Learn more about your destination’s entry requirements.
Georgia State University Passport Services provide passport photos on-site for a nominal fee. Applicants who wish to provide their own photo must follow the U.S. Department of State guidelines. Georgia State Passport Services reserves the right to refuse passport photos that may not appear current, do not look to be a true likeness of the applicant, or do not follow one or more of the U.S. Department of State passport photo guidelines.
The U.S. Department of State photo policies applies to adults and children. You can find examples of the U.S. Department of State guidelines of acceptable passport photos on travel.state.gov.
$15.00 Photos On-site
$ 5.00 Current Study Abroad Students*
Basic Passport Photo Guidelines
- Photo must be 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size.
- Must be a color photo, taken in last 6 months
- Clear image of your face with no filters.
- No selfies.
- No eyeglasses. (If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, you must present a signed note from your doctor with your application.)
- Plain white or off-white background.
- High resolution that is not blurry, grainy, or pixelated.
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper.
- Must not be digitally altered.
- Undamaged with no holes, creases, or smudges.
- A neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis.
- You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire.
- No hats or head covering.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, please visit Travel.State.Gov for a complete guideline.
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
*Must provide proof of current enrollment into any college or university Study Abroad Program
Passport fees are paid separately in two (2) parts.
1.) Application Fee and any Additional Service Fees: (paid to U.S. Department of State)
- Checks (personal, certified, cashier’s, traveler’s) and money orders payable to “U.S. Department of State”
- Credit and debit cards CANNOT be accepted
2.) Execution (Acceptance) Fee and Passport Photo Fee: (paid to Georgia State University)
- Credit Card
(16 and over)
Minor (Under 16)
** Execution Fee
(Paid to Facility)
Form DS-11 Only
$110* Check/Money Order Only
$80* Check/Money Order Only
$30* Check/Money Order Only
$15* Check/Money Order Only
Passport Book & Card
$140* Check/Money Order Only
$95* Check/Money Order Only
$35 (Study Abroad $5 with proof)
$60* Check/Money Order Only
$60* Check/Money Order Only
1-2 Day Delivery
$17.56 (Paid to Acceptance Facility)
1-2 Day Return
$17.56 (Paid to U.S. Department of State)* Check/Money Order Only
File Search Fee
$150 (Paid to U.S. Department of State)* Check/Money Order Only
Families applying in person at the same time may write one check or money order to the U.S. Department of State for their passport application fees. The check or money order must include the name and date of birth of each applicant.
All other applicants must submit an individual check or money order for their passport application fee. Please include the applicant’s name and date of birth on the check or money order.
*Fees payable to U.S. Department of State must be paid by Check/Money Order ONLY.
**The U.S. Department of State requires the collection of an Execution Fee at all Passport Acceptance Facilities.
Study Abroad Students from any college or university can obtain a passport photo for $5 with proof of enrollment in a current semester Study Abroad program.
Georgia State University | Clarkston Campus, Passport Acceptance Facility is open to the public.
555 N Indian Creek Dr.
Clarkston, GA 30021
Hours of Operation
Appointments: Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
To make an appointment for passport services, email email@example.com. Please allow up to 48 hours for a reply.
Building CS | Parking Lot #1
Clarkston, Georgia 30021
Georgia State University
555 North Indian Creek Drive
Clarkston, GA 30021