Passports for Minors (Under 16)

U.S. Passport applicants under 16 must apply in person using Form DS-11.  Applicants under 16 cannot use the passport renewal application to renew a passport. Children under 16 passports are valid for 5 years.

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.

Show parental relationship:

Parents/guardians must present one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Photo Identification:

Parents/guardians must present one of the following identification documents: 

  • In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
  • Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

Both parents/guardians must be present when applying for a passport for minors under 16.  If both parents/ guardians are unable to be present, you have sole legal custody of the minor under 16, or are unable to locate the other parent please read  Show Parental Consent.